CleverStat.com Forum Index CleverStat.com
CleverStat forum

SEO Tutorial and FAQSEO Tutorial and FAQ   SearchSearch   Free SEO SoftwareFree SEO Software   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Monitor needs minutes to open and close

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CleverStat.com Forum Index -> Free Monitor for Google Technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have noticed this slow down of Free Monitor at start and close with progress bar?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

magicball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Free Monitor needs minutes to open and close Reply with quote

Free Monitor is a very helpful and perhaps one of the best free solutions for checking keywords with Google. In the past Free Monitor was very good.

A few months ago when you got to know that installing a new version of Free Monitor will cause lose of any domain and keyword data, you built in a progress bar that shows at start and close of Free Monitor the progress.

But what's the secret of this progress bar? It takes so long to open and close Free Monitor that I would guess you are preparing some Gigabytes for saving to a file.

When you start using Free Monitor in the present version (also the last 4 or 5 versions) it opens in perhaps 1 min. and closes in 2 min. After storing 5 domains with together 300 keywords in Free Monitor it takes 2 min. to open Free Monitor and 4 minutes to close it.

If you use Free Monitor each day with one search at each of those 5 domains than it will slow down at start and closing every day a little bit more. After some weeks start of Free Monitor needs 3 min. and closing perhaps 5 - 6 minutes.

I've checked this with three friends of mine. All of them have noticed exactly the same problem.

It is such a shame, because everybody needs Free Monitor and this disfunction will cause the lose of market shares.

Regards,
magicball
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With large amount of data it would be slow even without the progress bar, but in that case it simply appeared as "halt" application, not responding any actions. Slight increase in performance does not worth a loss of convenience, if you ask me.
magicball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. But I really don't understand why closing the program must take so long. If we think on big applications, e. g. Word 2007, Word needs only a few seconds. Why does Free Monitor needs so long? It will only store a few kb.
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Free Monitor for Google folder and see the size of a project. I doubt it is few Kbs. Additionally, it is being zipped while save.
magicball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it. 3,3 MB for the file and 3,2 MB for the backup.

Free Monitor is storing the entire history from first use on? If so, it would be not necessary, because there's no function to display those data.

However. I would recommend to find a solution for this little tool to let it open and close as some months before. Very Happy
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the history is not kept in Free Monitor for Google.

Let's calculate a bit Smile

If you have 5 domains with 300 keywords each and the depth of your checks is first 50 results it needs 5 * 300 * 50 = 75.000 results to store. Each result takes about 200-300 bytes (including supplemental info). So, in total you get roughly 20Mb of data to save. Free Monitor for Google uses a fast zippping when save projects, so the overall size is reduced 2-3 times in size, so you get about 7-8Mbs.

Of course, we could disable zipping and get faster saving then, but this will result in HUGE project file.

And again, disabling the progress bar does not speed up the process much, beleive me Smile

Quote:
I would recommend to find a solution for this little tool to let it open and close as some months before.

We'll take a look what can be done in the future versions.
magicball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this perfect support!

(I understand that the progress bar only shows the process. And without the process will still need time. Wink)

Before in earlier versions it worked perfectly. So there is a way to improve the speed for sure. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CleverStat.com Forum Index -> Free Monitor for Google Technical forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: