CleverStat.com Forum Index CleverStat.com
CleverStat forum

SEO Tutorial and FAQSEO Tutorial and FAQ   SearchSearch   Free SEO SoftwareFree SEO Software   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't delete a keyword and other minor niggles

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CleverStat.com Forum Index -> Free Monitor for Google Technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Can't delete a keyword and other minor niggles Reply with quote

Hi.

First off, I can't seem to delete a keyword from the list. I can get to the edit function, select the offending item and click <delete>, but although the little edit screen shows it gone, it remains stubbornly on the main list. I've tried stopping and restarting the program, and rebooting, but no joy. I've updated to the latest greatest miniversion tonight but it's the same as the previous one. I've tried shouting at the screen and pretending to look the other way for a moment in case it disappears from view. In a moment of desperation, I even tried hunting for a simple configuration file I could edit directly but no such luck. What next? Delete the whole keyword list and start again? Pay for an upgrade? Turn three times and recite "GoogleMon" or "CleverStat" in reverent terms perhaps?

Also, I've noticed that the program forgets a keyword's previous best position if the keyword cannot be found in a new Google query. As some of my keywords flutter around Google's lower and darkest extremes (boo hoo), this is quite a common occurrence for me. Unfortunately.

And that's another thing. The display sometimes freezes during a query until the program next updates the query progress dialog box. Clicking <Cancel> to abort the current search seems to have no effect until the program completes the current keyword. Clicking <Stop> at the apparent end of a search (when all the green blobs are up) also takes ages to do anything. Am I being too impatient? Too much caffeine perhaps?

It might speed things up if the program would stop querying Google a (configurable?) number of results after finding my keywords. E.g. if my keyword is #55, stop searching beyond item #65 and move immediately on to the next keyword. That way I could set the number of results to check option to a high number without waiting all evening for a result.

Minor annoyances like that aside, it's a handy utility and unbeatable value for money Laughing

G.
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First off, I can't seem to delete a keyword from the list. I can get to the edit function, select the offending item and click <delete>, but although the little edit screen shows it gone, it remains stubbornly on the main list.

Hmm... Do you click OK in that window? If you click Cancel or close the window with red cross button - changes aren't saved.
Quote:
Also, I've noticed that the program forgets a keyword's previous best position if the keyword cannot be found in a new Google query. As some of my keywords flutter around Google's lower and darkest extremes (boo hoo), this is quite a common occurrence for me. Unfortunately.

A bug. Will be fixed.
Quote:
And that's another thing. The display sometimes freezes during a query until the program next updates the query progress dialog box. Clicking <Cancel> to abort the current search seems to have no effect until the program completes the current keyword. Clicking <Stop> at the apparent end of a search (when all the green blobs are up) also takes ages to do anything. Am I being too impatient? Too much caffeine perhaps?

That's it. Smile
Accurate Monitor for Search Engines stops the process faster Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.

Thanks for the quick response.

I've double-checked the keyword deletion thing. In the keyword editing box, I select the offending item, click <delete> then click <Yes> on the confirmation dialogue. The offending item disappears from the little edit box, sure enough, but remains visible on the main screen. After I shut the editing box (which is when I guessed it might update the main list), it is still there on the main screen. It won't go away. It haunts me.

G. Confused
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After I shut the editing box (which is when I guessed it might update the main list), it is still there on the main screen.

How do you shut it? You should click the OK button, otherwise all changes are lost.
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Administrator wrote:

Quote:

A bug. Will be fixed.

It is. New build is here: http://CleverStat.com/googlemon.exe
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Haunted by a sticky keyword Reply with quote

Thanks for the new build.

The 'can't delete a keyword' problem is still there. I am clicking <OK> to close the little edit box. Confused

The offending item is the first keyword on my list. In my case the keyword is "ISO 17799" (without the quotes!). It looks perfectly innocuous but in fact it is haunting me. I have added a new keyword "iso 17799" which, curiously, seems to give quite different results to the original for some reason and now I would like to delete the original one to tidy things up.

I've experimented a bit with the same keywords in UPPER and lower case: the program doesn't seem to like me entering such a combination. Perhaps this is the cause of my problem?

[Oh oh - on switching back and forth to the Free Monitor for Google window in the course of composing this message, the program's user interface died suddenly although Windows Task Manager showed the GoogleMon task remained running. Just a spurious happening or maybe the new release has a stability problem?]

G.
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 'can't delete a keyword' problem is still there. I am clicking <OK> to close the little edit box.

Do you mean you cannot delete any keyword or you cannot delete some particular one? In fact there is no problem at my side - adding and deleting keywords performs ok. Though you can use a workaround - export the keyword list into a text file, then edit it removing all keyword you don't want and then import that file back into Free Monitor for Google. It asks you "Do you want to clear the keyword list" - answer Yes.
Quote:
Oh oh - on switching back and forth to the Free Monitor for Google window in the course of composing this message, the program's user interface died suddenly although Windows Task Manager showed the GoogleMon task remained running

Was Free Monitor for Google searching at that time? If yes - that's normal. Main window isn't updated during a search.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CleverStat.com Forum Index -> Free Monitor for Google Technical forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: