CleverStat.com Forum Index CleverStat.com
CleverStat forum

SEO Tutorial and FAQSEO Tutorial and FAQ   SearchSearch   Free SEO SoftwareFree SEO Software   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new wrinkle with Google

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CleverStat.com Forum Index -> Free Monitor for Google Technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awasson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: A new wrinkle with Google Reply with quote

I've been using Free Monitor for Google for a while and currently use version 1.2. So far I have found it really handy for quickly checking sites for keyphrases even really obsure ones however I just ran into a problem with it.

I was running some obscure keyword checks on a website and set it to check the first 100 pages which would be the first 1000 returns. After a couple of runs it no longer returned any results. Everythign came back n/a.

I wen to Google and did a search and was shown a 403 Error Forbidden page with the following message:
Quote:
We're sorry...

... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that your computer or network has been infected.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

I have done virus sweeps on all of my machines and checked netstat. My machines are clean and I'm pretty certain this is a result of running Free Monitor for Google.

Now the challenge is to stop Google from blocking my ip. I now can't search anything on Google from my network. My IP is static so it's not as though I can just get another. This is actually a fairly big problem as I spend a great deal of time researching via Google.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Andrew, thanks for writing in.

First of all, I strongly recommend you to upgrade Free Monitor for Google to version 2. It is much better than version 1.x and is also very easy to use.

Quote:
I have done virus sweeps on all of my machines and checked netstat. My machines are clean and I'm pretty certain this is a result of running Free Monitor for Google.

No, viruses are not the reason. Google just scares you. The real reason is Google's limitation of queries per minute - if a significant number of queries comes to Google from the same IP - it blocks it for a while (20 or 30 minutes on my experience). So to avoid such thing you should limit your queries per day or query Google with some time bias between each query, for instance, 100 right now and 100 after a while.

The number of queries which causes an IP ban lies between 3000 and 10000 queries in some short period of time. There is nothing you really can do here - it is Google's defence against automated queries (to be honest, Free Monitor for Google does perform automated queries, which is disallowed by Google). Possible solutions: limit your queries manually as I said before or use Google API key, because it is fully legitimate way to check rankings (see Options | Register with Google menu).
awasson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I'm back up with Google now. They banned my ip for about 12 hours. I'll upgrade asap and I do have a google api key but I didn't know I could use it with CleverStat.

Thanks for the info,
Andrew
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    CleverStat.com Forum Index -> Free Monitor for Google Technical forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: